Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Global Warming and food

I am happy that Allen had Dr. David Karowe come into our class to present the topic of global warming and food.  When I first found out that he was going to come to our class I wondered what exactly he would cover...  By the time he was done presenting I was depressed.  The Earth is getting warmer and warmer and that is not good. According to Dr. Karowe's slide about the January 2014 temperatures, a lot of places besides Michigan had record warming for January.  Also, I can't believe that the estimate of current warming is 95% caused by human activities!  I knew we were doing things that weren't good for the Earth, but I didn't think it was that bad!  However, I am glad that Dr. Karowe told us that there is a glimmer of hope though.  For example, he said we could start by buying a more fuel efficient car and using more solar, wind, and hydro power.  I did a speech on solar, wind, and hydro power and learned a lot about it.  We don't use these power resources nearly as much as we should. They could help save us so much energy and lessen how much fossil fuel we need to burn.  My dad has been looking at getting a smaller windmill to generate energy at our house.
                  By 2050 if things continue to get worse, the US soybean and corn may decrease by 20-25%.   Even worse, by the year 2100 they could decrease to 55-60%.  This worries me a lot.  However, like Dr. Karowe said "The future is in our hands".  Our generation can make a difference, but it will take all of us to make the change to help better our Earth.      

3 comments:

  1. The global warming discussion really tied together many of the themes we have been talking about in class, and their relation to food as your blog says. I guess food combines many different disciplines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you; I'm glad Allen had Dr. David Karowe come speak to us as well! Dr. Karowe is very passionate about the topic of global warming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting on how he said that it would actually cost us more money if we didn't do anything than making the switch now. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete