Saturday, April 12, 2014

The restaurant I chose to visit was Zooroona.  Zooroona is located off of West Main st. in the Tiffany's Village Plaza.  I don't remember if this was one of the restaurants on the list Allen gave us, but when I looked up Mediterranean restaurants in Kalamazoo this one caught my eye.  I visited Zooroona during lunch time and that was probably a mistake because they were super busy.  I asked my server if he could tell me more about the restaurant like the background and where the family came from, but all he said to me was I apologize, but i'm too busy... so I kind of just left that alone, guess that's what I get for going on a Friday during lunch rush hour.  Luckily, they do have a website that gave me some background.  The Mandwee family comes from the Middle East.  They immigrated to Michigan in the 1980's and started Tiffany's wine and spirits.  Tiffany's grew into one of the favorite places to go for great wine and exceptional specialties.  With the love of their store the brothers decided that they wanted to bring a Mediterranean restaurant to Kalamazoo and that's how Zooroona began.  Zooroona means "come visit us" in Arabic.
The dish I decided to order was a Specialty plate called Spiced Beef with Figs.  I chose this dish because I haven't ate a fig so I wanted to try that and also I knew I liked beef.  Therefore, if everything else was terrible at least I know I would eat the beef.  This dish also had diced apricots and its served with saffron rice.  When I got my lunch it looked very delicious I wasn't a big fan of the figs, but everything else wasn't bad.  I really liked the saffron rice which surprised me because I hadn't tried it before.   I would recommend that everyone should go and try this restaurant especially because on Saturday's they have a belly dancer! Who doesn't want to see a good belly dancer haha.   

1 comment:

  1. I went here yesterday too! But it was at dinner time, they weren't too busy then. I really enjoyed their food, I'll definitely go back again sometime. And at least you tried to ask them about the family's background, even if they were too busy

    ReplyDelete